|Forums | USR | Problem staying in Team Fortress Classic||Watch|
|Posted - 10/14/2000 12:38:22 AM |
I had a 56flex modem with my old computer and did not have disconnect trouble with my isp. I now have an internal 3com pci modem (Installed by Dell). When playing TFC, I will lock up, recv "connection error" message in game then get kicked out. At this point the dial-up sys tray icon says I am still connected but I cannot surf or anything; I must reconnect to my isp. When the lock up occurs, I think I can still transmit but I lose the "receive" ability (no web sites will load, Roger Wilco drops me, can't download anything.
Any ideas??!! I am thinking about switching isp's but I may isp hop for awhile. I have heard that even though a given isp is V.90 compliant (my modem is too) that some modems will work better with isp's that use the same type of equipment (x2 based or flex based). Any truth to that as well?
|Posted - 10/21/2000 12:20:34 AM |
Here is an update to this problem. After trying many things recommended on this site, I believe I have finally solved this problem. Disabling x2, V.90 and making various init string changes to the dial string all did nothing to help, as a matter of fact some made things much worse! Finally, I added a command to reduce my connect speed from 49,333 to 42,666. Since I have done this I have not been disconnected even once!! Even if it locks with the "connection error" message, it still eventually reconnects me to the game. The command I now use take this form in the extra init field: &u28&n28 Seems to simple to me to really fix my problem but in four days of long gaming sessions, I have not been dropped even once.
|Posted - 11/2/2000 3:43:15 PM |
I used to have ADSL and now am back to modem :( I also play a lot of TFC and have tried many things to improve performance. You may know of http://tweak3d.net that's a great site with tweaking info geared toward gaming.
I can't seem to get my 3Com ISA modem (005687-02) to disable X2 and v.90 to give that a shot. But I generally don't have many problems.
I can say in TFC you should ensure your cl_rate setting matches the server's sv_maxrate as close as possible -- I never go over 4000 BTW.
|Posted - 11/3/2000 8:55:55 PM |
s32=98 in extra settings will disable x2 and v.90
|Posted - 11/5/2000 9:53:55 PM |
Sarge is right, but here are a few more items to try if you want: for a sportster/usr modem--Disable X2-S32=34; Disable v.42-S15=128; Disable V.90-S32=66; and to Disable V.90 & X2-S32=98.
As I said before, disabling any of these drastically messed me up, the only sure fix so far was to reduce my connect speed and that still has held up so far.
Here is a link you might want to check out: http://808hi.com/56k/index.htm
I got alot of ideas here. One other thing I found here was to change you packet size. To do this open Right click on Network Neighborhood, click properties. Highlight Dial up adatper,the click properties. Go to the advanced tab and click on IP Packet Size. They suggest changing setting to small, but you can experiment too. I didn't see any improvement or loss with any of the different settings myself.
I am going to try creeping up my connect speed to see where the instability starts again.
Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.
Show All Forums |