|Forums | USR | USR 56k w/ voice Disconnects and slow/erratic transfers||Watch|
|Posted - 1/16/2001 5:42:59 PM |
This is my first USR modem, I've always used an LT winmodem, and never had any of these problems before. I am on Windows98. Any help would be greatly appreciated in advance.
These are the following modemchk stats if they could help solve such problems:
Chars sent 153962 Chars Received 2208402
Retrains Requested 0 Retrains Granted 0
Data Compression V42BIS 2048/32
Disconnect Reason is DTR dropped
ati11U.S. Robotics 56K Voice INT Link Diagnostics...
I used to connect at always 50,000kps or 52,000kps, now I connect at 48,000 or 49,333. This wouldn't be a problem if I could download at the speed I previously was able to download at (roughly 5.8kps). Now I can only get around 4.2kps. Not to mention I get disconnected very often. It seems that none of the init strings I've found have been able to solve my problem, nor have I been able to find a newer driver for this modem. All help and recomendations are appreciated.
|Posted - 1/17/2001 7:26:40 AM |
Are you sure there were no other changes made to your computer?!? If not, it sounds like maybe the hardware flow control is not quite as good as your software flow control was. I don't know if this will work, but try putting in AT&F2 to have your modem set to the software general settings. And if that doesn't work just set it back to AT&F1. Just a shot in the dark, but let me know if it works.
|Posted - 1/17/2001 8:15:37 AM |
another thing that can help you in this case is to make sure the com port itself has been set to the proper speed. To do this go to device manager and change our com ports highest speed to 115200, this is a separate setting from your modems top speed. if the port your modem runs on is not listed then follow these steps.
Go to start, run , sysedit, Find win.ini scroll down till you find something like this:
Simply add another line with the com port that yours is on and make sure that instead of 9600, you use 115200. good luck.
|Posted - 1/17/2001 12:46:35 PM |
No changes that I could assertain were made to my computer, however this is a new computer; I had my LT
I made that change, but I haven't noticed an improvement of any sort...none that I can define.
Thanks for your current feedback, hopefully some one will know some way to resolve my problem, I appreciate all feedback.
|Posted - 1/18/2001 11:16:22 AM |
If you used to connect at 50.0k or 52.0k, you were connecting with K56Flex, not V.90;
Your 3Com modem diag info looks OK; it would seem to me that your issue involves your ISP - and that you may get better connect rates/throughput with a different ISP; or, if you want to stick with current ISP, go back to an LT modem --- however, nothing is guaranteed to stay the same beyond your end, so changes in telco or at ISP may affect connect rates/throughput of any modem.
|Posted - 1/18/2001 5:18:51 PM |
I wish I could just say it was my ISP, but literally there was about a 5minute unplug/replug new machine into comp, and immediately I noticed these problems. I wish I could just plug my LT winmodem into this new comp, but there was a lightning incident and it's pretty much dead, or basically a real pain to use. Thanks though. My ISP is www.starnetusa.com, a very solid, very large ISP.
|Posted - 1/21/2001 7:22:18 AM |
When I say it is your ISP, I mean the combination of the modem you are using and the ISP you are using;
You can at least try dialing other ISP #s to see if that is correct - even if you do not plan to switch
Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.
Show All Forums |