|Forums | USR | Windows Me and USR....||Watch|
|Posted - 7/5/2001 10:36:33 PM |
I used to have a 3cp5610 PCI modem the past 6 months while I was running Windows Me (upgraded Win98SE)
Everything worked fine until it stopped hang-out the line.
With the suspicion that the relay was damaged after a thunderstorm I went and bought an Internal 5695.
My nightmare begun.
I never succeded to install it correctly and even though the diagnostics revealed a good working modem I always ended with error 630 and ..no connection.
Since I thought that I have no IRQ available (my system assigned the modem either with my scsi adapter -for my Teac CD-Writer -or with my sound card (!!!)I turned to the solution of an external modem.
I bought the USR5686D and after I made (yes I did) a clean install of Windows Me I installed it without problems.
BUT 3 days after it stopped working.
It doesn't detect the dial tone.
In the same line when I connect my phone device or my notebook they work fine, but my external modem seems to be dead!!!!!!
I really need help.:(
The USR support line states that "they can't troubleshoot it since it doesn't support Windows Me" But in their web site is clearly written that it's compatible with Windows Me...
Please share with me your thoughts and experience..
|Posted - 7/5/2001 11:05:54 PM |
Test the modem in Hyperterminal setup direct to the com port the modem is on.
Issue ATE1 (local echo, so you can see what you type)
Issue AT&F1 M1 L3 (restore factory default, set modem speaker on during dialing, set speaker volume high (if you have a manual volume, turn it up))
The modem should go offhook and you'll hear the dial tone.
If you don't hear the dial tone then the modem is damaged. End of test.
Issue ATH (the modem will hang up the line)
If you heard the dial tone in the above then:
Issue ATDT XXX-XXXX (XXX-XXXX is the number of the line the modem is on)
The modem should dial out and you'll hear a busy signal since the modem is using the line. Hit any key to disconnect.
If the modem dialed out ok then the problem is in Windows.
If the modem reported NO DIALTONE then either the modem is damaged or set to the wrong country code.
Since you said your laptop worked fine with the line I'm assuming that there's nothing wrong with the line's dialtone (some voice mail services alter the dialtone to let you know you have waiting voice mail and the modem won't recognize this as a dial tone).
|Posted - 7/7/2001 4:38:46 AM |
You really helped me a lot.
I exchanged my damaged usr5686D with a same new one.
Do you think that maybe my power source cable or my modem cable could play a role in it?
|Posted - 7/7/2001 11:55:14 AM |
I doubt the power supply would have anything to do with it.
The serial cable has nothing to do with the phone line and detecting the dialtone (except to report it to the computer) and you seemed to be able to communicate with the modem so that's eliminates it.
Only leaves the possibility of a phone line surge damaging the modem.
|Posted - 8/5/2001 4:21:27 PM |
it doesnt matter it stops working at restart same prob here. i have resorted to removing and reinstalling my modem after each restart.
|Posted - 8/6/2001 4:16:29 PM |
Try using the modem in a different slot on the motherboard.
Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.
Show All Forums |