|Forums | USR | USR 5686D slowing down Windows ME||Watch|
|Posted - 1/4/2002 8:59:40 PM |
My friend (somewhat of a newbie with modems) is having a problem with the USR 5686D external modem, running under Windows ME. I don't have experience with that operating system so I hope someone can provide some insight.
Here is a copy of his e-mail to me describing the problem:
"I know this modem is NOT suppose to use anything from the computer, but something serious is occurring. Whenever I use it, it runs the CPU% up to 90% steady at times. With only 1 window open on the web with Internet Explorer. No other program is running either. I am running Windows ME. Get this-----the Win Modem does not put anything like this on my CPU. Maybe 1 to 3% only! No errors are showing. I have not a clue why this is happening. US Robo says it must be my OS. Well I did a format and reinstall of OS, drive "C". I have installed and took out and reinstalled both modems many times. Run them together in machine or separate, makes no difference. So long as I do not use it and keep it off, things are fine."
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can provide some helpful advice.
|Posted - 1/4/2002 11:08:59 PM |
I doubt that the modem is the problem, have him try connecting to the ISP using Hyperterminal to see if the CPU usage goes up.
If there's no or little increased CPU usage then it's not the modem causing the problem.
Then have him connect double clicking the ISP's DUN connectoid and WITHOUT running the browser or any other internet application to see if the CPU usage goes up. If there's no increase in the CPU usage then suspect the browser as the problem, if there is an increase then suspect either Dial-Up Networking or possibly a bad serial port driver.
|Posted - 1/6/2002 4:44:09 PM |
I forwarded your comments yesterday to my friend, and here's his latest report. I'm wondering if any of this will offer more clues:
Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.
Show All Forums |