|Forums | Agere (Public) | Testing SV92P Based Modem||Watch|
|Posted - 11/17/2005 1:24:18 PM |
I'm trying out an Airlink PCI Software Modem using the Agere SV92P chip. Connect speeds are very high, but download throughput is quite a bit less than my other modems. As a benchmark, I use the Speedtest at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/. I've tried Driver versions 2.1.34 and recently 2.1.51 from the Microsoft Update site.
Have others measured their download speed? I only get around 30 kbps versus up to 40 kbps with some of my other modems.
Is there anything I can do to improve this?
By the way, I modifed the driver inf file and have the AT#UD diagnostics now displaying in the WinXP Modemlog.
|Posted - 11/22/2005 11:04:09 AM |
Here is an update on my Agere SV92PL based Software Modem.
By limiting the connect speed, I have achieved download rates as high as 36 Kbps with two of my three ISPs. This compares very favorably with my DSP and Controller based modems.
However, with my third ISP I see download rates of only 25-30 Kbps. In some cases I have seen even less. I use the speedtest at speakeasy.net for these tests.
Upload rates are anywhere from 70 to 200 Kbps which must imply that compressed files are transmitted. Does anyone have any other explanations?
By the way, I seem to be getting the best performance from my Diamond Supramax PCI Pro modem with the latest Conexant chip and the latest generic driver from their website.
Burkina Faso (Upper
|Posted - 11/29/2005 2:38:49 PM |
voila je ne suis pas anglophone mais je voudrais juste pouvoir recupéré un pilote de modem voila pourquoi je poste cette reponse.
excuser moi si ca vous derrange mais la ou je suis je n'ai pas d'autres solution.
Merci et pardon.
|Posted - 11/30/2005 11:46:39 AM |
Could you post your post-call diagnostics here?
Things you can also try -
Connecting modem directly to your demarc, or if not practical, removing all other devices connected to phone line to see if there is any difference
(My tests on SV92P PCI have given me downloads around 50kbps (already compressed files) - but I'm lucky to have good line/short run to telco and get connect rates of 48k - 52k.
Edited by - v.Richard on 11/30/2005 11:48:35 AM
|Posted - 11/30/2005 9:29:15 PM |
That 50kbps with an already compressed file sounds terrific. Have you tried any of the internet speedtests such as the one I referenced above? I wonder if these are good benchmarks to use for a 56K modem. The best I have achieved using Speedtest is 41kbps.
Attached below is a diagnostic log on this modem. I eliminated the speed limiting for this run. This SV92PL based modem performs quite a bit better when I limit the speed to something in the area of 41333 bps.
By the way, I use the free Kerio Firewall which includes a little oscilloscope that is great for monitoring the modem performance during a download test. When I see a straight line during download I know the modem is performing very nicely.
11-30-2005 20:08:05.765 - Modem Diagnostics:
Many thanks for a great website and all the help,
|Posted - 12/2/2005 7:10:37 PM |
What I really would like to see is the modem's post-call diagnostics -
this is the response to the command
which you can issue using Hyperterminal connected directly to modem's COM port - see
The ati11 will give info about initial and final rates as well as retrains / rate renegs.
|Posted - 12/31/2005 5:03:37 PM |
I just noticed that I never provided the ATI11 results that you requested.
This Airlink SV92PL based Modem performs better on the Internet based Speedtests if I limit the connect speed to 41333 or 42666 bps.
The results below were recorded with no speed limiting.
Any thoughts on what might be happening?
By the way, I returned the Taicom International Hummingbird Modem using the Smartlink SL2800 chip.
I really didn't need any more modems, and it performed very poorly on two out of three initial connections. Limiting the speed could very well have helped but I didn't want to spend any more time on it. I also had the default WinXP driver and another driver supplied on CD.
I mentioned that it started working after cleaning the PCI edge contacts. I'm not positive that the contacts were in fact making a poor connection. The problem might have been my telephone line connection. I will never know for sure.
All of my other modems don't care which of the two telephone jacks are used. This modem, however, requires that you connect to the jack marked Line. Interesting that it works differently. I did notice that the jacks provided only two copper prongs for connection, while my other modems provide four.
Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.
Show All Forums |